Regardless of the nature your case, we have an experienced attorney who will focus on your individual needs. Our team of attorneys works closely together, bringing each of their different fields of expertise to bear in order to optimize our client care.
With convenient offices in Downers Grove, Naperville, Elmhurst, Tinley Park, Lake in the Hills, and Saint Charles, Illinois our attorneys offer a comprehensive suite of legal services including family law, probate, estate planning, civil litigation, guardianships, and corporate & contract law.
(1) Your attorney should not speak in legalese. Finding an attorney that is a “real person” can be difficult. Many attorneys surround themselves almost exclusively with other attorneys and are accustomed to speaking in ivory tower legalese. You should be able to connect with your attorney on a personal level, and he or she should speak to you in plain language that you can understand. You will be working very closely with this person on issues that are very important to you. It is important that he or she be down-to-Earth and someone that you connect with.
(2) Your attorney should be accessible. The most common complaint that clients have of their attorneys is that the attorney is unreachable, does not communicate with them regularly, or does not promptly return your calls. Your attorney should reach out to you about your case regularly and respond within 24 hours to calls and e-mails. An open line of communication between you and your attorney is essential to building trust.
(3) Your attorney should be realistic with you about costs and outcomes. Your attorney’s goal should not be to win at all costs. Rather, it should be to achieve a favorable outcome for you as efficiently as possible. It is important that your attorney set realistic expectations at the outset as to the costs you should expect, concerns that the attorney has about the outcome of your case, and the length of time that you should expect your case to take.
Before I founded O’Flaherty Law in 2011, I had previously worked for five years at a small general practice firm, where I learned to practice nearly every area of law. When I started my own practice, I based the practice on principles I had learned from my parents, who had owned and operated a very successful dental practice in Downers Grove for 30 years.
For as long as I could remember, my parents’ practice had the same team. My parents also had loyal patients who would stay with them even after moving hours away from their practice.
There were several lessons about being in a service business that I learned from growing up watching my parents’ dental practice:
(1) Treat your staff well, and they will treat your clients well—this is essential to creating an organization that provides amazing service consistently on every level;
(2) Make sure that every client understands that they are important to you on a personal level—every client walks away happy . . . no exceptions; and
(3) You can never rest on your laurels—don’t ever settle for anything less than being the absolute best at what you do and providing the highest quality of work to your clients.
In June, 2012 we moved to the corner of Main Street and the train tracks in downtown Downers Grove. For someone who had grown up in town, this was a dream come true. Now, nearly five years after embarking on this journey, we have a strong team of attorneys and support staff practicing nearly every area of law, and an enormous network of happy clients who have spread the word about our services.
At O'Flaherty Law, our mission and standard is to exceed expectations in every aspect of our practice, by providing personalized, efficient, quality legal services.By operating according to our mission, we hope to achieve the vision of enriching and elevating the lives of our clients through excellent problem solving and exceptional service.
If we have achieved our goal of "wowing" you with our above-and-beyond service, the best compliment we can receive is the opportunity to serve your friends and family. We are your community law firm.
I am excited to be helping more people every year, and to continue to spread the values that I learned from my parents’ dental practice: “treat your employees and clients well, be good at what you do, and you will be happy in your work.”
- Kevin O'Flaherty
Kevin O’Flaherty grew up in Downers Grove, a town where his parents owned a dental practice for 30 years and where the law firm he founded in 2011 now operates.
* * *
“We strive to offer the personalized service of a small firm while still having the manpower of a slightly larger firm,” O’Flaherty said.
* * *
O'Flaherty founded and hosts the SeizeYourBusiness.com podcast and videocast, in which he interviews business owners to discuss the secrets to their success. He also hosts and speaks at monthly small business workshops and seminars on such topics as finding a good mentor and how to get your business’s message out. In addition, he is involved with networking groups for business-owner collaboration.
* * * *
Community involvement is important to O’Flaherty. Last year he was vice president of the Rotary Club of Downers Grove and chairman of the business expo for the Rotary Grove Fest, the Downers Grove summer festival. This year he will serve a term on the chamber of commerce board. In 2014, he was on the board of AIM, the Center for Independent Living, a nonprofit organization that helps disabled people live on their own.
Please contact our friendly Cook County, McHenry County, Will County & DuPage County family lawyers to Schedule a Consultation:
See below for our other locations. If our office locations are not convenient for you, we are happy to speak with you by phone.
Hours: 9 am - 5 pm Mon -Fri
In an effort to protect children from the negative impacts of custody disputes and stresses related to testifying, judges try to avoid putting children on the witness stand (except in emergencies). Alternatively, a judge can speak directly with the child during an interview in the judge’s chambers. This preferred way of taking the testimony in chambers is called an in camera interview (In camera is a Latin term meaning "in chambers".