no need to leave your home to receive legal consultations and services - Call or click to learn more about phone and videoconferencing with our attorneys

How to Change Your Name After a Divorce in Illinois

Article written by Illinois & Iowa Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Updated on
October 28, 2019

In this article, we will explain how to change your name after a divorce in Illinois.  Illinois provides for a simplified name-change process if one of the parties wants to revert to the name he or she used prior to the marriage.  

How to Change Your Name After Divorce if You Don’t Want to Use Your Maiden Name

Generally, if you want to change your name in Illinois, you must file a request for a name change with the clerk of court, along with accompanying forms.  This initiates a hearing during which the judge will either grant or deny your request.  Divorcees need only follow this process if they seek to change their name to something other than the name used prior to marriage.  To learn more about this process, check out our article: How to Legally Change Your Name in Illinois.

How to Go Back to Using Your Maiden Name After Divorce

If you simply want to revert back to the name you used prior to your marriage (e.g. your maiden name), the judge can order this name change as part of your divorce decree.  You should check with your attorney that this is included in the final court order dissolving your marriage.  

If your divorce decree includes language changing your name, you do not have to make any separate court filings.  However, you will still be required to update your information on public records.  Your divorce order will serve as the operative document that public agencies require in order to effectuate the change.  

Where Do I Need to Update My Name After a Divorce?

If you are changing your name in connection with a divorce, you should update the following:

  • Your social security card;
  • Your driver’s license;
  • Your bank accounts;
  • Your credit cards; and
  • Utilities.

You should start with your social security card, then update your driver’s license.  You can use these two updated documents to update your bank accounts, credit cards, and utilities.  

How to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card After a Divorce

The first step you should take to update your name on public records after a divorce is to change the name on your social security card.  In order to do so, bring the following to a Social Security Administration Office:

  • Your divorce decree;
  • Social Security Form SS-5: Application for a Social Security Card;
  • A government-issued photo ID; and
  • Proof of citizenship (birth certificate or citizenship certificate).

The process can be completed by mail as well if you send in a certified copy of your proof of citizenship.

How to Change Your Name on Your Driver’s License After a Divorce

In order to update your name on your driver’s license after divorce, you can simply bring your current driver’s license and a certified copy of your divorce decree to the DMV.  Be prepared to pay a small fee.

Image by Free-Photos on Pixabay

Additional Financial Considerations
from Financial Experts

From Financial Experts

For many years, financial institutions have been creating a disservice to clients and the industry as a whole for years.
View More Professional Considerations

Presented By O'Flaherty Law

How to Change Your Name After Divorce if You Don’t Want to Use Your Maiden Name

Need Legal Help? 

Schedule a

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a free consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Although most consultations are complimentary, some may carry a charge depending on the type of matter and meeting location.

Leave a Comment With Your Questions

Read more about

Family Law & Divorce

We offer free, paid & Online CONSULTATION in:

Family Law & Divorce

Schedule a consultation with our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys

We offer free, paid & online consultation in nearly every area of law throughout Illinois and Iowa. We have a range of options to assist you with your legal needs.

What happens at a legal consultation?
Meet with an attorney for a free consultation to discuss what type of matter you need to discuss with an attorney.
Over the Phone Legal Consultations
Similar to In-person consultations, you discuss your legal needs with our attorneys to discuss your matter.
An online consultation is like an in-person and an over the phone online Consultation. You meet face to face with our attorneys through our online portal.
Paid Legal Consultations
While a free consultation allows us to discuss what we can do in general terms for your legal matter, a paid consultation allows us to answer direct questions.

More Illinois Child Custody Law Episodes

contact us

Monday to Friday
9am - 5pm

Contact Us
Disclaimer: Our articles and comment responses do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Please contact us to schedule a free consultation for legal advice specific to your situation.

Here are some articles that may interest you
Schedule a

Contact us for a Free Consultation

Schedule a free consultation

O'Flaherty Law is happy to meet with you by phone or at our office locations in:

Who We Are
We are your community law firm. Our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner in the areas of Family Law, Probate, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Criminal Defense, Corporate & Contract Law, Bankruptcy and Real Estate.

Some of Our Accomplishments

Best Child Support Lawyers in Chicago
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Kevin P. O'Flaherty
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Naperville attorney
DuPage County Probate Attorney

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required