no need to leave your home to receive legal consultations and services - Call or click to learn more about phone and videoconferencing with our attorneys

How to Transfer Guardianship Proceedings to Another State

Article written by Illinois & Iowa Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Updated on
December 12, 2019

In this article, we explain, “How to transfer guardianship proceedings to another state.” Our guardianship attorneys answer:

  • Can guardianship proceedings be transferred to another state?
  • Steps to transferring a guardianship to another state
  • Notifying interested parties of a guardianship transfer

Can Guardianship Proceedings Be Transferred to Another State?

In most cases, yes. But the speed in which they can be transferred heavily weighs on whether the state in question has adopted the Uniform Adult Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Jurisdiction Act (UAGPPJA). The Act:

  • Provides detailed and accurate rules for transferring guardianship between states
  • Allows states to recognize and register guardianship orders from other states
  • Determines jurisdiction by designating the origin state the “home state”
  • Protects against abuse and exploitation

It’s always recommended to seek counsel in both states during a guardianship transfer, but this is especially true if one has not adopted the UAGPPJA. Illinois has adopted the Act, making it relatively simple to transfer guardianship to another state following the UAGPPJA. 

But when transferring to a state that does not follow the Act, guardians should be prepared to start the guardianship process over by petitioning for a new appointment to be recognized in the new state. In some situations, two proceedings in two different states may be required to end guardianship in the home state and grant guardianship in the new state, rather than being able to transfer it.

Steps to Transferring a Guardianship to Another State

If you’re ready to transfer a guardianship  to another state, you’ll need to complete three main steps as follows.

  • Step 1 — Open a guardianship case in the new state. This must be done before the guardianship case in Illinois can be closed. This ensures that there is always at least one guardianship court with authority.
  • Step 2 — File the certified order granting the new guardianship with the original guardianship court. This will allow a judge to close the original guardianship knowing that the minor or disabled person is still protected under new guardianship terms.
  • Step 3 — Finally, the original guardianship case must be closed in the original court. If this is not done, confusion could arise in the future regarding which court has the ultimate authority to make decisions related to the guardianship and involved parties.

Though not always required, a final accounting may need to be filed and approved prior to closing an original guardianship estate, if there are estate assets. On the same note, a current inventory of all estate assets may need to be filed with the new guardianship court upon arrival.

Notifying Interested parties of a Guardianship Transfer

When a guardianship is being transferred from Illinois, it is required that all interested parties are notified of the transfer. Interested parties could include close family, heirs of the estate, and perhaps even creditors.

The purpose of this notice is to keep interested parties informed regarding the current care arrangements and living situation of a minor or disabled individual. The requirement also serves as an additional level of protection as it deters guardianship transfers with ill intent.

Additional Financial Considerations
from Financial Experts

From Financial Experts

For many years, financial institutions have been creating a disservice to clients and the industry as a whole for years.
View More Professional Considerations

Presented By O'Flaherty Law

Steps to Transferring a Guardianship to Another State

Need Legal Help? 

Schedule a

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a free consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Although most consultations are complimentary, some may carry a charge depending on the type of matter and meeting location.

Leave a Comment With Your Questions

Read more about

Guardianship Law

We offer free, paid & Online CONSULTATION in:

Guardianship Law

Schedule a consultation with our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys

We offer free, paid & online consultation in nearly every area of law throughout Illinois and Iowa. We have a range of options to assist you with your legal needs.

What happens at a legal consultation?
Meet with an attorney for a free consultation to discuss what type of matter you need to discuss with an attorney.
Over the Phone Legal Consultations
Similar to In-person consultations, you discuss your legal needs with our attorneys to discuss your matter.
An online consultation is like an in-person and an over the phone online Consultation. You meet face to face with our attorneys through our online portal.
Paid Legal Consultations
While a free consultation allows us to discuss what we can do in general terms for your legal matter, a paid consultation allows us to answer direct questions.

More Illinois Guardianship Law Episodes

contact us

Monday to Friday
9am - 5pm

Contact Us
Disclaimer: Our articles and comment responses do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Please contact us to schedule a free consultation for legal advice specific to your situation.

Here are some articles that may interest you
Schedule a

Contact us for a Free Consultation

Schedule a free consultation

O'Flaherty Law is happy to meet with you by phone or at our office locations in:

Who We Are
We are your community law firm. Our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner in the areas of Family Law, Probate, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Criminal Defense, Corporate & Contract Law, Bankruptcy and Real Estate.

Some of Our Accomplishments

Best Child Support Lawyers in Chicago
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Kevin P. O'Flaherty
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Naperville attorney
DuPage County Probate Attorney

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required