no need to leave your home to receive legal consultations and services - Call or click to learn more about phone and videoconferencing with our attorneys

What Do I Need to File Immigration Form I485?

Article written by Illinois & Iowa Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Updated on
April 3, 2020

In this article, we discuss what documents and materials you should collect before sitting down to fill out Form I-485 for Adjustment of Status.

Form I-485 is the main USCIS application for immigrants who are eligible to apply for lawful permanent residence (US green card) and can also do so while living in the US and not having to leave the country for an overseas consular interview.

Individuals eligible to file Form I-485 will typically fall into one of four categories:

  1. Those who came to the US on a temporary work visa such as an H-1B and were sponsored by their employer for a green card
  2. Those who came to the US on a temporary visa, but married a US citizen
  3. Individuals who received asylum in the US
  4. The fiance of a US citizen who got married before their fiance visa expired

Filling Out Form I-485

Form I-485 can be an exercise in patience. It’s lengthy and ambiguous in some sections, but don’t stress, there are plenty of resources to help navigate the form’s various questions. For more information check out Immigration Form I-485 Explained. Below are some of the items you’ll need for the various parts.

  • Have your Social Security Number and/or Online Account Number. If you don’t have those just leave those sections blank;
  • If you have an Alien Number (A#), put it in the appropriate box. This is unlikely for a majority of individuals filing I-485 forms unless they have had a previous encounter with US immigration services, such as applying for immigration benefits or removal proceedings.
  • Make sure you have the correct “Date of Last Arrival,” which is the last time you arrived in the US after leaving the country, not necessarily the first time you arrived in the US unless they are the same date. 
  • Have your I-94 number ready as this helps prove you entered with a temporary visa or through the visa waiver program

Forms Needed When Filing the I-485

Each case is unique and depending on your situation you may need to attach forms different from the next person.  Below is a  list of the common forms and information you’ll need to include with the I-485. Not every form is required, but some are highly suggested to avoid future headaches and to cut down on costs associated with filing separately.

  • You’ll need proof of your eligibility for a green card. This could be anything from your notice of approval as in asylee, form I-130 and the associated marriage certificate, your USCIS petition notice and marriage certificate if you entered as the fiance of a US citizen, etc;
  • Your Medical Examination Sheet (Form I-693), which must be completed by a Civil Surgeon and placed into a sealed, unopened envelope by the Civil Surgeon;
  • Form I-131 allows you to receive “advanced parole,” which enables you to travel outside the US while your I-485 application is being reviewed and the adjustment process is still ongoing. If you do not file this form and travel outside the US while the adjustment process is still underway you risk having your green card application canceled;
  • Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization. This form is good to file with the I-485 even if you don’t plan to work. It gets some a photo ID and you won’t have to pay an extra fee if you file at the same time;
  • Form I-864 Affidavit of Support. This form is necessary if you’re riding in on a US family member. You need the supporting and financial tax documents associated with this form as proof of your support.

Documents Needed With Form I-485

  • Two color photos taken within the last 30 days (these should be passport-style);
  • Birth certificate (If not in English you must have it in a translated form, word for word);
  • A photocopy of the non-immigrant visa page of your passport;
  • Any previous criminal reports, convictions, etc (speak with an attorney if you do have any past arrests or convictions, even if they were overturned);
  • Fee for the application and fingerprinting.

Every immigration case is different. Having an attorney to bounce questions off of and to review your application can save you time, money and prevent your application from being denied due to an honest mistake. For more information call our office at 630-324-6666.

Additional Financial Considerations
from Financial Experts

From Financial Experts

For many years, financial institutions have been creating a disservice to clients and the industry as a whole for years.
View More Professional Considerations

Presented By O'Flaherty Law

Filling Out Form I-485

Need Legal Help? 

Schedule a

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a free consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Although most consultations are complimentary, some may carry a charge depending on the type of matter and meeting location.

Leave a Comment With Your Questions

Read more about


We offer free, paid & Online CONSULTATION in:


Schedule a consultation with our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys

We offer free, paid & online consultation in nearly every area of law throughout Illinois and Iowa. We have a range of options to assist you with your legal needs.

What happens at a legal consultation?
Meet with an attorney for a free consultation to discuss what type of matter you need to discuss with an attorney.
Over the Phone Legal Consultations
Similar to In-person consultations, you discuss your legal needs with our attorneys to discuss your matter.
An online consultation is like an in-person and an over the phone online Consultation. You meet face to face with our attorneys through our online portal.
Paid Legal Consultations
While a free consultation allows us to discuss what we can do in general terms for your legal matter, a paid consultation allows us to answer direct questions.

More Illinois Immigration Law Episodes

Illinois Immigration Law Videos

contact us

Monday to Friday
9am - 5pm

Contact Us
Disclaimer: Our articles and comment responses do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Please contact us to schedule a free consultation for legal advice specific to your situation.

Here are some articles that may interest you
Schedule a

Contact us for a Free Consultation

Schedule a free consultation

O'Flaherty Law is happy to meet with you by phone or at our office locations in:

Who We Are
We are your community law firm. Our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner in the areas of Family Law, Probate, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Criminal Defense, Corporate & Contract Law, Bankruptcy and Real Estate.

Some of Our Accomplishments

Best Child Support Lawyers in Chicago
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Kevin P. O'Flaherty
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Naperville attorney
DuPage County Probate Attorney

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required