When Does Child Support End in Iowa?

When Does Child Support End in Iowa?

Video by Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Article written by Illinois & Iowa Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Updated on
November 22, 2019

In this article, we will answer questions about “At what age does child support end in Iowa?”, “What other circumstances can cause child support to end?”, and “What if my child receives support for college?”.

At What Age Does Child Support End in Iowa?

An obligation of child support continues for every child between the age of eighteen and nineteen provided that the child is engaged full-time in completing high school graduation or equivalency requirements and is reasonably expected to complete said requirements prior to the child reaching nineteen years of age.  The obligation may also include a child of any age that is deemed dependent on the party due to physical or mental disability.  However, a child support order does not necessarily end automatically when the child reaches the age of eighteen or nineteen.  The obligation may continue until the noncustodial parent files a legal petition to terminate the order, depending on the language in the order.  Consult an attorney to see if a “Motion to Terminate the Income Withholding Order” must be submitted with the Court before your support order can legally conclude.  For more information about about Child Support, see our article entitled Iowa Child Support Law Explained.

What Other Circumstances Can Cause Child Support to End?

A “substantial change in circumstances” can cause a child support order to be modified or ended.  Examples of this include: legal emancipation of the child, repudiation (meaning the child refuses to acknowledge the obligor as his or her parent), marriage of the supported child before the age of eighteen, disestablishment of paternity, or reduction of the noncustodial parent’s income to below the state’s poverty guidelines by no fault of the obligee.  Sometimes, extenuating circumstances can cause child support to be halted temporarily, such as during the modification or entry of a permanent child support order.  Exchanges in custody can also bring about the end of an obligation of child support.  You should speak with an attorney if you have questions about whether or not your child support order needs modification or has reached its completion.  You can also seek advice and services from the Iowa Child Support Recovery Unit (CSRU) if you need help ending a Child Support Order.  Click here for more information.

What if My Child Receives Support for College?

If you are obligated to provide a “post-secondary education subsidy” to help with certain college expenses, this will continue until the terms of the court order are met or the child drops out of school.  As stated above, you may need to file a legal petition to terminate the order.  This article is not meant to substitute for legal advice, so consult with an attorney about the details of your support order to determine how to proceed.  For more details about “postsecondary education subsidies,” see our article entitled Iowa Child Support and College Expenses.

Additional Financial Considerations
from Financial Experts

From Financial Experts

For many years, financial institutions have been creating a disservice to clients and the industry as a whole for years.
View More Professional Considerations

Presented By O'Flaherty Law

At What Age Does Child Support End in Iowa?

Need Legal Help? 

Schedule a

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a free consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Although most consultations are complimentary, some may carry a charge depending on the type of matter and meeting location.

Leave a Comment With Your Questions

Read more about

Family Law & Divorce

Disclaimer: Our articles and comment responses do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Please contact us to schedule a free consultation for legal advice specific to your situation.

Here are some articles that may interest you

Contact us for a Free Consultation

Schedule a free consultation

O'Flaherty Law is happy to meet with you by phone or at our office locations in:

Who We Are
We are your community law firm. Our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner in the areas of Family Law, Probate, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Criminal Defense, Corporate & Contract Law, Bankruptcy and Real Estate.

Some of Our Accomplishments

Best Child Support Lawyers in Chicago
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Kevin P. O'Flaherty
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Naperville attorney
DuPage County Probate Attorney

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required