In this article...

Key Takeaways

Part of the divorce process is determining a custody agreement in the child's best interest. Joint custody is common for divorced or separated parents who share custody of their children and make up most of the custody agreement schedules. In joint custody, parents have equal rights and responsibilities for their children's care and upbringing.  

There are various joint custody schedule examples, including 50/50 custody, where children spend equal time with each parent, and the 2-2-5-5 schedule, where children spend two days with one parent and two days with the other, and then alternate five-day blocks with each parent. Other examples include the 3-4-4-3 schedule, the 2-2-3 schedule, and the bird's nest schedule. Each schedule has advantages and disadvantages; parents should choose the one that best suits their family's needs and circumstances.  


Understanding Joint Custody and Shared Parental Responsibilities  


When parents separate or divorce, determining child custody can be one of the most challenging aspects of the process. Joint custody and shared parental responsibilities have become increasingly popular in recent years as they allow both parents to remain involved in their child's life. However, creating a joint custody schedule can be complex and requires careful consideration of various factors, including the child's age, parents' work schedules, and distance between homes.  


What is Parenting Time?  


Parenting time, also known as visitation, refers to the time a parent spends with their child when they do not have physical custody. In a joint custody arrangement, both parents share parenting time, and the schedule is designed to allow the child to spend time with each parent.  

Common Joint Custody Schedules  


There are many joint custody schedules to consider when creating a plan that works for your family. Here are some of the most common examples:  


50/50 Custody & Visitation  


50/50 custody and visitation arrangements involve the child spending equal time with each parent. Equal time is usually achieved through a rotating schedule between each parent's home. There are several variations of a 50/50 schedule, including (bullet points):  


  • Alternating Weeks: One of the most straightforward 50/50 schedules is alternating weeks. The child spends one week with one parent and the following week with the other.  


  • Two weeks each: Another variation is to have the child spend two weeks with each parent before switching to the other parent's home.  
  • 3-4-4-3 schedule: A 3-4-4-3 schedule involves the child spending three days with one parent, four days with the other parent, four days with the first parent, and three days with the second parent before the cycle repeats.  
  • 2-2-5-5 schedule: In a 2-2-5-5 schedule, the child spends two days with one parent, two days with the other parent, and then five days with the first parent before switching to the other parent's home for five days.  
  • 2-2-3 schedule: A 2-2-3 schedule involves the child spending two days with one parent, two days with the other parent, and then three days with the first parent before repeating the cycle.  
  • Alternating every two days: An alternating every two days schedule may be an option for parents who live close to each other. The child spends one day with one parent and the following day with the other.  
  • Every extended weekend: In this schedule, the child spends weekdays with one parent and weekends with the other parent. The parent who has the child during the week drops them off at the other parent's home on Friday and picks them up on Monday morning.  


Is a 50/50 Schedule Right for You?  


A 50/50 custody schedule can work well for parents who live close to each other and maintain a civil relationship. However, there may be better options for some families. When considering a 50/50 schedule, parents should consider their work schedules, the child's school schedule, and the logistics of transporting the child between homes.  


How Should You Agree on a Custody Arrangement?  


The most crucial factor in determining a joint custody schedule is what is in the child's best interest. Both parents should communicate openly and honestly about their schedules and work together to create a schedule that prioritizes the child's needs. If necessary, parents may consider working with a mediator or family law attorney to help.  


Other Custody and Visitation Schedules  


The 60/40 and 75/25 parenting schedules are both custody arrangements that involve one parent having more parenting time than the other. In a 60/40 schedule, one parent has the child 60% of the time, while the other has the child 40% of the time. In a 75/25 schedule, one parent has the child 75% of the time, while the other has the child 25% of the time. The specific schedule for each arrangement can vary depending on the needs and circumstances of the family. However, it's important to note that in any custody arrangement, the primary focus should be on the child's best interest.  


Should Custody Arrangement Differ with Age?  


Custody arrangements can differ depending on the age of the child (bullet points):  


Infants (0-12 months) typically require more frequent contact with both parents, so custody arrangements may involve shorter, more frequent visits to allow for bonding with both parents.  


For toddlers (1-3 years), it's essential to maintain a consistent routine to ensure stability and reduce anxiety. In this age range, it's common for custody arrangements to involve more extended visits with each parent, but with one parent serving as the primary caregiver.  


As children get older (4-11 years), they may better understand the custody arrangement and have more input in the decision-making process. The best custody arrangements for this age group prioritize consistency, stability, and the child's interests.  


For teenagers (12-17 years), custody arrangements may become more flexible and can involve more input from the child regarding their preferences. It's essential to keep communication open and prioritize the child's needs and wishes as they navigate the challenges of adolescence.

March 17, 2023
Text Link

FREE Family Law & Divorce E-Book

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a  consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Consultations may carry a charge, depending on the facts of the matter and the area of law. The cost of your consultation, if any, is communicated to you by our intake team or the attorney.

Similar Articles


Learn about Law