no need to leave your home to receive legal consultations and services - Call or click to learn more about phone and videoconferencing with our attorneys

Dissipation and Contribution in Illinois Divorce Explained

Article written by Illinois & Iowa Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Updated on
November 1, 2019

The most challenging and time consuming portion of any divorce proceeding, is sorting through the finances.  Dissipation and contribution are often an overlooked component when analyzing marital finances because both concepts deal with money that has already been spent. The key difference between the two (2) concepts lies in how the money was spent.  

What is Dissipation in Divorce?   

When one spouse uses marital resources for non-marital purposes, it is likely they have “dissipated” the marital estate. If a dissipation has occurred, then the spouse who has caused the dissipation must reimburse the marital estate for this improper expenditure. Examples of typical dissipation are:

  • Buying a giant flat screen television;
  • A golfing trip by one party  that excludes the other party;
  • Purchasing a fishing boat when only one spouse fishes;
  • Lavish spending sprees on jewelry or sports cars;
  • Gambling

Examples of things unlikely to be considered dissipation:

  • Purchase of an insurance policy;
  • Investing money in a mutual fund;
  • Purchasing a new air conditioner
  • Payment of medical bills

What is Contribution in Divorce?    

A contribution, on the other hand, occurs when one spouse uses non-marital funds to contribute to a marital expense. When a contribution has occurred then the contributing party is entitled to reimbursement from the marital estate. Examples of typical contributions are:

  • Using proceeds from the sale of non-marital property towards the purchase of a new jointly owned marital residence;
  • Using proceeds from a baseball  card collection, held since childhood, to purchase a new roof for the marital residence;

The key fact to differentiate dissipation from contribution is: when a dissipation has occurred the dissipating spouse owes the marital estate money; when a contribution has occurred the marital estate owes the contributing spouse money.  If you suspect a dissipation has occurred, or you feel you are entitled to reimbursement from a contribution you made to the marital estate, you should contact an attorney for advice.

Additional Financial Considerations
from Financial Experts

From Financial Experts

For many years, financial institutions have been creating a disservice to clients and the industry as a whole for years.
View More Professional Considerations

Presented By O'Flaherty Law

what is wasteful dissipation of marital property?

Need Legal Help? 

Schedule a

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a free consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Although most consultations are complimentary, some may carry a charge depending on the type of matter and meeting location.

Leave a Comment With Your Questions

Read more about

Family Law & Divorce

We offer free, paid & Online CONSULTATION in:

Family Law & Divorce

Schedule a consultation with our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys

We offer free, paid & online consultation in nearly every area of law throughout Illinois and Iowa. We have a range of options to assist you with your legal needs.

What happens at a legal consultation?
Meet with an attorney for a free consultation to discuss what type of matter you need to discuss with an attorney.
Over the Phone Legal Consultations
Similar to In-person consultations, you discuss your legal needs with our attorneys to discuss your matter.
An online consultation is like an in-person and an over the phone online Consultation. You meet face to face with our attorneys through our online portal.
Paid Legal Consultations
While a free consultation allows us to discuss what we can do in general terms for your legal matter, a paid consultation allows us to answer direct questions.

More Illinois Divorce & Legal Separation Episodes

contact us

Monday to Friday
9am - 5pm

Contact Us
Disclaimer: Our articles and comment responses do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Please contact us to schedule a free consultation for legal advice specific to your situation.

Here are some articles that may interest you
Schedule a

Contact us for a Free Consultation

Schedule a free consultation

O'Flaherty Law is happy to meet with you by phone or at our office locations in:

Who We Are
We are your community law firm. Our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner in the areas of Family Law, Probate, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Criminal Defense, Corporate & Contract Law, Bankruptcy and Real Estate.

Some of Our Accomplishments

Best Child Support Lawyers in Chicago
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Kevin P. O'Flaherty
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Naperville attorney
DuPage County Probate Attorney

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required