what is a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity

How to Establish Paternity in Illinois if the Father Doesn’t Sign a VAP at the Hospital

Video by Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Article written by Illinois Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Updated on
October 9, 2019

In this article, we explain how to establish paternity in Illinois if the father doesn’t sign a VAP at the hospital. We discuss: 

  • What is a VAP?;
  • How to establish paternity by consent if the father does not sign a VAP at the hospital; and
  • How to establish paternity if the father refuses to sign a VAP.

What is a VAP?

A VAP, or Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity, is a form that is presented to unwed parents at the hospital at the birth of a child.  If both parents sign the form, the man who signs the form is legally considered to be the father of the child and will be added to the child’s birth certificate.  This does not give the father any parenting rights, however it does obligate the father to pay child support.  Parenting rights can be established after the fact to the extent such rights are in the best interest of the child by filing a petition for allocation of parenting time and responsibility

To learn more about VAPs, check out: Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity and Establishing Paternity by Agreement in Illinois.

How to establish paternity by consent if the father does not sign a VAP at the hospital?

The easiest way to establish paternity is for the father to sign the VAP at the hospital.  However, if the parents are in agreement in wanting to establish paternity, a VAP can be executed at any time after the birth of the child.  

You can find the VAP form here.  Once the form is filled out and signed by both parents in front of witnesses, it can be filed with the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services, Administrative Coordination Unit (ACU) 110 West Lawrence St. Springfield, Illinois 62704.

The IDHFS will then send the form to the Illinois Division of Vital Records, which will add the father’s name to the birth certificate.

How to establish paternity if the father refuses to sign a VAP

If the father refuses to sign a VAP, the mother can initiate a paternity suit by filing a petition to establish paternity in the appropriate circuit court.  This will ultimately lead to a hearing whereby each party will have the opportunity to present evidence for and against the alleged father’s paternity.  Usually, the best evidence is a DNA test.  Although the court generally will not force the alleged father to take a DNA test, the alleged father will probably lose the case if he refuses.  

For more information, check out our article: Illinois Paternity Law Explained

Additional Financial Considerations
from Financial Experts

From Financial Experts

For many years, financial institutions have been creating a disservice to clients and the industry as a whole for years.
View More Professional Considerations

Presented By O'Flaherty Law

O'Flaherty Law is happy to meet with you by phone or at our offices in Chicago, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Naperville, St. Charles, Lake in the Hills and Tinley Park, Illinois.

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a free consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Although most consultations are complimentary, some may carry a charge depending on the type of matter and meeting location.

Leave a Comment With Your Questions

Read more about

Paternity Law

Disclaimer: Our articles and comment responses do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Please contact us to schedule a free consultation for legal advice specific to your situation.

Here are some articles that may interest you

Contact us for a free consultation

Who We Are
We are your community law firm. Our Illinois Attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner in the areas of Family Law, Probate, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Criminal Defense, Corporate & Contract Law, Bankruptcy and Real Estate.
Schedule a free consultation

Some of Our Accomplishments

Best Child Support Lawyers in Chicago
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Kevin P. O'Flaherty
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Naperville attorney
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Business Articles & Podcasts

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required