no need to leave your home to receive legal consultations and services - Call or click to learn more about phone and videoconferencing with our attorneys

How to Remove or Modify Guardianship in Iowa

Article written by Illinois & Iowa Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Updated on
March 3, 2020

In this article, we discuss the various reasons why a guardianship would be removed or modified. We also examine the legal conditions for removal, and the process of removing a guardianship in Iowa.

Why Must a Guardianship be Modified?

Sometimes a guardianship will need to be modified due to a change in the ward’s physical or mental capacity. The guardian may require more powers to make choices for the ward, or if the ward’s physical or mental capacity improves the ward or other interested parties may feel the guardian should have his or her powers reduced. 

Changing or modifying a guardianship is more or less the same as the setup process. A “petition for modification” is filed with the court by the interested party, a hearing will be set, and any interested party may present his or her facts at the hearing. Just like in the original hearing, the court will decide what level of guardianship is required. A “limited” guardianship is often the case when it appears that less responsibility needs to be held by the guardian. Ultimately, the court will decide what level of modification is necessary, with the focus being giving the guardian as few responsibilities as what is deemed necessary?

How to Remove a Guardian

Reasons for removing a guardian are numerous, but most deal with the ward becoming competent to take care of themselves or the guardianship showing behavior that suggests he or she is unfit to be a guardian. An Iowa guardian may be removed under any of the following:

  • Becoming physically or mentally unable to handle the duties assigned as guardian;
  • Neglect or deprivation of the ward by the guardian;
  • Failing to file an inventory or accounting after being ordered to do so by the court;
  • Mismanagement of the estate;
  • Malfeasance;
  • A better match as guardian is apparent;
  • Conviction of a felony;
  • Endangering a co-guardian or bond surety for the guardian through his or her behavior;
  • Any other good reason as determined by the court

Ending a guardianship is the same as starting or modifying one. A petition is filed to remove the guardian and a hearing date is set up. If the ward is seeking to remove the guardian and establish his or her rights without limits the burden of proof falls on the ward to prove his or her competence. This would typically involve evidence such as medical and or psychological tests and any other pertinent testimony. If opposing, the guardian must provide proof contrary to the ward’s argument, whether that be in support of the ward’s incompetence and the necessity for a guardian, or in support of his or her own continuing role as the guardian. 

Guardianship Hearings

Once the petition for the removal of the guardian has been filed a summons will be issued by the court to the guardian and must be delivered within the appropriate time-frame. From here the guardian can file his or her response to the petition, which may be in the form of a written statement denying or confirming the facts present in the petition, or a motion to dismiss, or some other answer. Ultimately, the court will decide whether to modify or remove the guardianship

Additional Financial Considerations
from Financial Experts

From Financial Experts

For many years, financial institutions have been creating a disservice to clients and the industry as a whole for years.
View More Professional Considerations

Presented By O'Flaherty Law

How to Modify Guardianship

Need Legal Help? 

Schedule a

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a free consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Although most consultations are complimentary, some may carry a charge depending on the type of matter and meeting location.

Leave a Comment With Your Questions

Read more about

Family Law & Divorce

We offer free, paid & Online CONSULTATION in:

Family Law & Divorce

Schedule a consultation with our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys

We offer free, paid & online consultation in nearly every area of law throughout Illinois and Iowa. We have a range of options to assist you with your legal needs.

What happens at a legal consultation?
Meet with an attorney for a free consultation to discuss what type of matter you need to discuss with an attorney.
Over the Phone Legal Consultations
Similar to In-person consultations, you discuss your legal needs with our attorneys to discuss your matter.
An online consultation is like an in-person and an over the phone online Consultation. You meet face to face with our attorneys through our online portal.
Paid Legal Consultations
While a free consultation allows us to discuss what we can do in general terms for your legal matter, a paid consultation allows us to answer direct questions.
contact us

Monday to Friday
9am - 5pm

Contact Us
Disclaimer: Our articles and comment responses do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Please contact us to schedule a free consultation for legal advice specific to your situation.

Here are some articles that may interest you
Schedule a

Contact us for a Free Consultation

Schedule a free consultation

O'Flaherty Law is happy to meet with you by phone or at our office locations in:

Who We Are
We are your community law firm. Our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner in the areas of Family Law, Probate, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Criminal Defense, Corporate & Contract Law, Bankruptcy and Real Estate.

Some of Our Accomplishments

Best Child Support Lawyers in Chicago
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Kevin P. O'Flaherty
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Naperville attorney
DuPage County Probate Attorney

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required