How to Enforce Child Support Through the Illinois Division of Child Support Services

What Are the Consequences of Unpaid Child Support in Illinois?

Video by Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Article written by Illinois & Iowa Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Updated on
October 28, 2019

In this article, we will explain the consequences of unpaid child support in Illinois.  We will discuss how to enforce child support through the Illinois Department of Child Support Services, as well as how to enforce child support through the court system.  For more on how to enforce a child support order, check out our article, How to Enforce Child Support in Illinois.

For an overview of Illinois child support law, check out our article: Illinois Child Support 2019.

How to Enforce Child Support Through the Illinois Division of Child Support Services

If a parent fails or refuses to pay court-approved child support, the other parent may contact the Illinois Division of Child Support Services (DCSS). Once a custodial parent notifies the state agency of the non-custodial parent’s failure to provide payment, the DCSS starts monitoring all payment activities of the non-custodial parent (if a custodial parent is receiving public assistance, this monitoring is automatic).

Once a non-custodial parent does not pay child support over a six-month time period, or if the non-custodial parent owes the custodial parent more than $5,000, DCSS may initiate a request for state or prosecution of the non-custodial parent for failure to pay. Fines and imprisonment depend on the severity of the non-payment; for example, an individual may be convicted of a Class A misdemeanor for failing to pay child support for six months or owing more than $5,000. However, this charge could be classified as a Class 4 felony with imprisonment for one to three years if the same individual owed more than $20,000.

You do not need an attorney to work with the DCSS.  However, an attorney may facilitate the process, save you time, and help you achieve a quicker and more favorable outcome.  Attorneys are also generally better equipped to handle more complicated cases.  

How to Enforce Child Support Through the Illinois Court System

How does Child Support Work in the Courts?

The DCSS often has a backlog of cases.  An alternative to working through the DCSS to enforce child support is to work with your attorney to enforce your child support order through the court system.  This may give you a quicker result and a wider range of remedies.  

If a parent refuses to pay child support, the other parent may ask for a hearing before an Illinois judge. The non-custodial parent will then be served with an official document, ordering him or her to attend a court-ordered hearing. The non-paying parent is given a chance to explain why he or she is not paying the owed child support. If this individual does not attend the hearing, the court may issue a warrant for his or her arrest.

Even if the non-custodial parent does attend the hearing, the Illinois judge can still send him or her to jail for violating the court-ordered child support agreement. Depending on the non-custodial parent’s reasoning for failure to provide payment, the judge may order him or her to make future payments or agree to a payment schedule to make up for the unpaid child support. The judge can also order the non-custodial parent’s wages be withheld, a lien be placed on his or her property, or even that he or she must post a bond or other assets.

Judges rarely send a parent to jail, due to the fact that a jailed parent cannot earn income to pay child support, but depending on the severity of the situation, it is always a possibility. Jail time is usually only ordered if an income withholding order or wage garnishment are not viable options.

Additional Financial Considerations
from Financial Experts

From Financial Experts

For many years, financial institutions have been creating a disservice to clients and the industry as a whole for years.
View More Professional Considerations

Presented By O'Flaherty Law

How to Enforce Child Support Through the Illinois Court System

Need Legal Help? 

Schedule a

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a free consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Although most consultations are complimentary, some may carry a charge depending on the type of matter and meeting location.

Leave a Comment With Your Questions

Read more about

Family Law & Divorce

Disclaimer: Our articles and comment responses do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Please contact us to schedule a free consultation for legal advice specific to your situation.

Here are some articles that may interest you

Contact us for a Free Consultation

Schedule a free consultation

O'Flaherty Law is happy to meet with you by phone or at our office locations in:

Who We Are
We are your community law firm. Our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner in the areas of Family Law, Probate, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Criminal Defense, Corporate & Contract Law, Bankruptcy and Real Estate.

Some of Our Accomplishments

Best Child Support Lawyers in Chicago
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Kevin P. O'Flaherty
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Naperville attorney
DuPage County Probate Attorney

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required