Naming a guardian for a minor child

What Happens When A Custodial Parent Names Guardian in a Will That is Not the Other Parent

Article written by Illinois & Iowa Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Updated on
October 28, 2019

In this article, we answer the question “what happens when an Illinois custodial parent names a legal guardian for a minor child in his or her will that is not the other parent?

When a custodial parent names someone as guardian for their minor child in his or her will, the other parent’s rights are not affected. Surely the custodial parent has the right to name someone of his or her choice as guardian of their minor child in a will, but that is not a legal appointment.

In order to be legally considered the guardian of a minor, a person must be appointed by a court. The first step to legal guardianship of a minor is filing a petition in Probate Court asking to be appointed guardian. Once the petition is filed, a court can proceed on appointing a guardian, with two big exceptions the second of which is not relevant here.  For more on this, check out our article: Illinois Guardianship Explained.

A court cannot appoint someone else as legal guardian of the minor child if the minor child has a living parent (natural, adoptive, or adjudicated) whose parental rights have not been terminated, whose whereabouts are known, and who is willing and able to make and carry out day-to-day child care decisions concerning the minor.

Thus, if the custodial parent passes away and the noncustodial parent who meets those three requirements is still living, the court cannot appoint someone else as legal guardian of the minor child.

Ultimately, a person named guardian of a minor by the custodial parent in a will is not automatically the legal guardian of that minor child until the proper legal procedure has been followed.

If you have been named by the deceased parent in the will, or even if you haven’t, and you believe that the surviving parent is unfit, you may be able to pursue contested guardianship contested essentially means ‘not agreed’. These circumstances are complicated, so it is almost always advisable to seek the assistance of an attorney.

Additional Financial Considerations
from Financial Experts

From Financial Experts

For many years, financial institutions have been creating a disservice to clients and the industry as a whole for years.
View More Professional Considerations

Presented By O'Flaherty Law

Guardianship of a minor child

Need Legal Help? 

Schedule a

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a free consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Although most consultations are complimentary, some may carry a charge depending on the type of matter and meeting location.

Leave a Comment With Your Questions

Read more about

Guardianship Law

Disclaimer: Our articles and comment responses do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Please contact us to schedule a free consultation for legal advice specific to your situation.

Here are some articles that may interest you

Contact us for a Free Consultation

Schedule a free consultation

O'Flaherty Law is happy to meet with you by phone or at our office locations in:

Who We Are
We are your community law firm. Our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner in the areas of Family Law, Probate, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Criminal Defense, Corporate & Contract Law, Bankruptcy and Real Estate.

Some of Our Accomplishments

Best Child Support Lawyers in Chicago
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Kevin P. O'Flaherty
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Naperville attorney
DuPage County Probate Attorney

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required