How to Correct Your Criminal Record in Illinois

How to Correct Your Criminal Record in Illinois

Article written by Illinois & Iowa Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Updated on
October 28, 2019

In this article, we explain how to correct errors on your criminal record in Illinois.  We explain the Illinois criminal record Access and Review Process, how to request a copy of your FBI criminal history, how to request Illinois criminal records, and how to challenge your Illinois criminal history.

The Illinois Criminal Record Access and Review Process Explained

The Illinois Access and Review Process allows people to request to review both their state and FBI criminal records and challenge any portions of the record that they believe to be erroneous.

How to Request a Copy of Your FBI Criminal History

In order to request a copy of your FBI criminal history, you should send a letter requesting a copy of your FBI criminal history record to the FBI at the following address:

FBI CJIS Division - Record Request

1000 Custer Hollow Road

Clarksburg, West Virginia 26308

Along with the letter, you must include fingerprint card form FD-258, which can be obtained at a local law enforcement agency, as well as a money order or certified check for $18.00.

The FBI will then send you a copy of your criminal history.  If your FBI criminal history contains an error, you must challenge it with the local law enforcement agency.

How to Request Illinois Criminal Records

Illinois law enforcement and correctional facilities are required by law to facilitate requests to access and review criminal records.

Upon receipt of an Access and Review request, the law enforcement agency will obtain fingerprints and other identification information from the requesting party and submit it on an Access and Review Fingerprint Card  to the Illinois state police within 30 days.  

Within 60 days of receiving an Access and Review form, the state police are required to send the local law enforcement agency a copy of the requesting party’s Illinois criminal history transcript along with a Record Challenge form.  The local law enforcement agency will then contact the requesting party to review the transcript at the law enforcement facility.  

How to Challenge Your Illinois Criminal History

In order to request a correction or modification of your Illinois criminal record, you should fill out the Record Challenge form that is received from the Illinois State Police after submitting an Access and Review request and send it to the Illinois State Police.  The Illinois state police does not charge a fee for record challenges or access and review requests, but the local enforcement agency may charge a small fee for processing requests.    

The Illinois State Police will provide you with a written response to the Record Challenge form, which will inform you either of any action taken to correct the criminal record or a statement that the Illinois State Police have decided not to make a correction.  

If the Illinois State Police fail to take appropriate action to correct your criminal record, you should contact an attorney to assist you in appealing the process.

Additional Financial Considerations
from Financial Experts

From Financial Experts

For many years, financial institutions have been creating a disservice to clients and the industry as a whole for years.
View More Professional Considerations

Presented By O'Flaherty Law

The Illinois Criminal Record Access and Review Process Explained

Need Legal Help? 

Schedule a

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a free consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Although most consultations are complimentary, some may carry a charge depending on the type of matter and meeting location.

Leave a Comment With Your Questions

Read more about

DUI, Criminal & Traffic Defense

Disclaimer: Our articles and comment responses do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Please contact us to schedule a free consultation for legal advice specific to your situation.

Here are some articles that may interest you

Contact us for a Free Consultation

Schedule a free consultation

O'Flaherty Law is happy to meet with you by phone or at our office locations in:

Who We Are
We are your community law firm. Our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner in the areas of Family Law, Probate, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Criminal Defense, Corporate & Contract Law, Bankruptcy and Real Estate.

Some of Our Accomplishments

Best Child Support Lawyers in Chicago
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Kevin P. O'Flaherty
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Naperville attorney
DuPage County Probate Attorney

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required