How to Enforce a Parenting Order in Illinois

How to Enforce a Parenting Agreement in Illinois | Enforcing a Child Custody Orders

Article written by Illinois & Iowa Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Updated on
October 28, 2019

In this article, we explain how to enforce a parenting agreement in Illinois. We discuss the ramifications of a party not complying with the terms of an allocation of parental responsibilities judgment under the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act. While a party may think, “If I don’t exercise my parenting time, my ex-spouse will have more time with the children and therefore everyone wins,” the act of not exercising allotted parenting time can have various consequences ranging from financial penalties to loss of future parenting time. Those consequences are discussed herein.

How to file a Petition for Enforcement of Parenting Time in Illinois

Enforcing Illinois Parenting Time Judgments

When individuals file for a dissolution of marriage involving minor children, the eventual outcome of said dissolution will include
some form of allocation judgment allotting parenting time and parenting responsibilities between each party. These judgments typically include schedules for parenting time on regular days as well as during school breaks, holidays, and others pecific dates such as Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. The goal of al lallocation judgments is to facilitate an easy, peaceable transfer of the children between the parties, all the while considering the children’s best interests.

Occasionally an issue arises where one of the parents to an allocation judgment abuses either their own parenting time or the other parent’s parenting time. Whether this occurs due to ill will between the parties or a simple misunderstanding can only be determined on a case-by-casebasis. However, when one parent feels that the other has abused parenting time,the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (“IMDMA”)(which governs the allocation of parental responsibilities in the event of a dissolution) has proscribed a remedy.

How to file a Petition for Enforcement of Parenting Time in Illinois

Section 607.5 of the IMDMA allows a party to bring an action for the enforcement of parenting time by a parent (or person appointed under Section 506 of the IMDMA to represent the child(ren)) by filing a petition which alleges specific information, including the following:

(a) Thename and residential or mailing address of the petitioner;

(b) The name and residential, mailing, or employment address of respondent;

(c) The terms of the parenting plan or allocation judgment in effect;

(d) The nature of the violation of the allocation of parenting time (Requires specific information (dates, time, and
allegations of specific conduct); and

(e) That a reasonable attempt was made to resolve the dispute.

What Happens if You Don't Comply with An Order Allocating Parenting Time?

If, after hearing all evidence, the court decides that the petitioning party is correct in its assertion that a violation of parenting time has occurred, the court can issue an order including one or more of the following:

(1)   Additional terms or conditions consistent with the court’s previous allocation of parenting time order, such as that the pick-up or drop-off of the children must occur at a specific place and time (if not previously addressed).

(2)   Require one or both parents to attend a parental education program at the expense of the non-compliant parent.

(3)   Require the parties participate in family or individual counseling.The court determines how to apportion the expenses for this. This is often used in cases with a history, or a possibility, of domestic violence.

(4)   Require the non-compliant parent to post a cash bond (or other security) that may be forfeited to the other parent for payment of expenses on behalf of the child.

(5)   Make-up parenting time, so long as the make-up time is of the same type and duration as the parenting time that was denied. Make-up parenting time must be accomplished within six (6) months of the denied parenting time unless the denied parenting time was a holiday, in which case make-up time must occur within one (1) year.

(6)   Find the non-compliant parent in contempt of court.

(7)   Impose civil fines.

(8)   Require the non-complying parent reimburse the other parent for reasonable expenses incurred as a result of the violation.

(9)   Any other provision which may benefit the child.

In addition to the above consequences of abusing parenting time, a court can order the parent who either failed to exercise parenting time or to provide parenting time to the pay the reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, and expenses incurred by the aggrieved party. However, if the court determines the party bringing the action to enforce parenting time has brought a frivolous claim, that party (the petitioner) willbe required to pay the respondent’s attorney’s fees, court costs, and expenses.

Additional Consequences When Found in Contempt for Failure to Comply with a Parenting Order

Additional Consequences When Found in Contempt for Failure to Comply with a Parenting Order

If the Court determines a party who has violated the parenting time judgment is in contempt of court, it may order consequences
in addition to those outlined above. Namely, a party may lose his or her driver’s license (with the exception of a financial responsibility driving permit to go to and from their place of employment), the party may be put on probation, sentenced to periodic imprisonment (daily release for work), and/or order a fine not to exceed $500 per parenting time violation. Additionally, any contempt order issued by a court is transmitted to the State Police for record keeping and available to law enforcement during traffic stops.

In the eyes of the law, and specifically the courts, the key determination in any and all parenting time and parenting responsibilities matters are the best interests of the child(ren). In setting visitation schedules, support orders, and the like, the court always considers the best interests of the child. When parties enter into parenting agreements and subsequently do not follow their obligations therein, the court views this essentially as disregardful to the care and needs of the child(ren). The court is strict in its application of the law and of the proscribed remedies. Therefore,it is always in a person’s best interest to respect their obligations and rights, and the obligations and rights of the other parent, in parenting

Additional Financial Considerations
from Financial Experts

From Financial Experts

For many years, financial institutions have been creating a disservice to clients and the industry as a whole for years.
View More Professional Considerations

Presented By O'Flaherty Law

How to Enforce a Parenting Plan in Illinois

Need Legal Help? 

Schedule a

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a free consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Although most consultations are complimentary, some may carry a charge depending on the type of matter and meeting location.

Leave a Comment With Your Questions

Read more about

Family Law & Divorce

Disclaimer: Our articles and comment responses do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Please contact us to schedule a free consultation for legal advice specific to your situation.

Here are some articles that may interest you

Contact us for a Free Consultation

Schedule a free consultation

O'Flaherty Law is happy to meet with you by phone or at our office locations in:

Who We Are
We are your community law firm. Our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner in the areas of Family Law, Probate, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Criminal Defense, Corporate & Contract Law, Bankruptcy and Real Estate.

Some of Our Accomplishments

Best Child Support Lawyers in Chicago
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Kevin P. O'Flaherty
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Naperville attorney
DuPage County Probate Attorney

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required