no need to leave your home to receive legal consultations and services - Call or click to learn more about phone and videoconferencing with our attorneys

How to Expunge Marijuana Possession Convictions From Your Criminal Record in Illinois

Article written by Illinois & Iowa Attorney Kevin O'Flaherty
Updated on
October 28, 2019

In this article, we explain how to expunge marijuana possession convictions from your criminal record in Illinois once the new law legalizing Marijuana in 2020 becomes effective.  We answer the questions: 

  • What does it mean to expunge a marijuana possession conviction?
  • What types of marijuana convictions are eligible for expungement in Illinois under the new law?
  • When can a marijuana possession conviction be expunged in Illinois?
  • How to expunge a conviction for marijuana possession in Illinois; and 
  • Should I hire an attorney to expunge my marijuana conviction?

To learn more about the new law legalizing marijuana in Illinois, check out our article: New Illinois Law Legalizing Marijuana in 2020: Frequently Asked Questions. 

What Does it Mean to Expunge a Marijuana Possession Conviction?

Expunging your criminal record means that records related to a particular criminal charge will be removed from public view and physically destroyed. An expunged criminal charge is not visible in background checks and employers are not permitted to consider an expunged charge when making hiring decisions. 

What Types of Marijuana Convictions Are Eligible for Expungement in Illinois Under the New Law?  

Under the new law some drug possession convictions will be automatically expunged. If you received a conviction for possession of up to 30 grams of cannabis and the conviction was not related to a more serious crime, your conviction is likely to be automatically pardoned and expunged from your record.  

If you have a conviction for possession of between 30 and 500 grams of cannabis or possession of drug paraphernalia, your conviction will not be automatically expunged, but, beginning in 2020, you will have the opportunity to affirmatively petition the court to expunge the conviction. 

When Can A Marijuana Possession Conviction Be Expunged In Illinois?

After January 1, 2020, you will be able to petition to expunge a marijuana possession conviction once three years have passed since your sentence has been completed.  

How to Expunge a Conviction for Marijuana Possession in Illinois

The first step in expunging a conviction for marijuana possession from your criminal record is to file a petition for expungement with the circuit court of the county that issued the conviction.  Expungement petition forms can be found on most county clerks’ websites.  You will generally be required to pay a fee to the clerk when you file the expungement petition.  

The Illinois State Police, the arresting agency, and the chief legal officer of the municipality that made the arrest will receive notice of your expungement petition and will have 60 days to file an objection to the expungement.  

If none of the above agencies object, the judge will generally enter an order granting the petition within 6 months.  Otherwise, the court will hold a hearing to determine whether to grant your petition. 

For more on this, check out our article: Illinois Expungement Explained. 

Should I Hire an Attorney to Expunge My Marijuana Conviction?

If there are any mistakes in your expungement petition, you will have to start the process over or your petition may simply be denied.  Because the expungement process can take 6 months, this delay may cause significant problems.  An attorney can ensure that the petition is filled out correctly the first time and give you the best opportunity for success.  Working with an attorney for your expungement is inexpensive and will save you significant time and effort in navigating the process.

Additional Financial Considerations
from Financial Experts

From Financial Experts

For many years, financial institutions have been creating a disservice to clients and the industry as a whole for years.
View More Professional Considerations

Presented By O'Flaherty Law

What Types of Marijuana Convictions Are Eligible for Expungement in Illinois Under the New Law? 

Need Legal Help? 

Schedule a

What to Expect From a Consultation

The purpose of a free consultation is to determine whether our firm is a good fit for your legal needs. Although we often discuss expected results and costs, our attorneys do not give legal advice unless and until you choose to retain us. Although most consultations are complimentary, some may carry a charge depending on the type of matter and meeting location.

Leave a Comment With Your Questions

Read more about

DUI, Criminal & Traffic Defense

We offer free, paid & Online CONSULTATION in:

DUI, Criminal & Traffic Defense

Schedule a consultation with our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys

We offer free, paid & online consultation in nearly every area of law throughout Illinois and Iowa. We have a range of options to assist you with your legal needs.

What happens at a legal consultation?
Meet with an attorney for a free consultation to discuss what type of matter you need to discuss with an attorney.
Over the Phone Legal Consultations
Similar to In-person consultations, you discuss your legal needs with our attorneys to discuss your matter.
An online consultation is like an in-person and an over the phone online Consultation. You meet face to face with our attorneys through our online portal.
Paid Legal Consultations
While a free consultation allows us to discuss what we can do in general terms for your legal matter, a paid consultation allows us to answer direct questions.

More Illinois Criminal Law Episodes

contact us

Monday to Friday
9am - 5pm

Contact Us
Disclaimer: Our articles and comment responses do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Please contact us to schedule a free consultation for legal advice specific to your situation.

Here are some articles that may interest you
Schedule a

Contact us for a Free Consultation

Schedule a free consultation

O'Flaherty Law is happy to meet with you by phone or at our office locations in:

Who We Are
We are your community law firm. Our Illinois & Iowa Attorneys are committed to providing exceptional client service in a cost-effective manner in the areas of Family Law, Probate, Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Guardianship, Criminal Defense, Corporate & Contract Law, Bankruptcy and Real Estate.

Some of Our Accomplishments

Best Child Support Lawyers in Chicago
DuPage County Probate Attorney
Kevin P. O'Flaherty
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Naperville attorney
DuPage County Probate Attorney

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required